Ohhh sweet nostalgia…. such a nice feeling! Ten years ago I was in Mexico…., I was a young man full of illusions, always thinking that I could set the world on fire. I remember when, years before moving to Montreal, I learned my first french sentence. I didn’t know that a simple phrase will re-frame my entire life… I didn’t…
You may think, “yeah yeah, bravo! he learned how to say ‘voulez-vous couchez avec moi, c’est soir?.'” Honestly… who do you think I am? Always classy never trashy!! My story is different, but not unique. I learned how to say “j’ai la peau douce.”
Probably you are wondering… Why? How? When? Where? I’m glad you are asking. Let me explain to you. There is a french singer named Alizee. Yeahh… she was a sensual and, borderline disturbing, girl who became popular in Europe. She used to sing, in a soft and whispering voice, something like… “moi, je m’apelle .. Lolita…” My guess is that, if the word Lolita is in the song, there was something awkward around… but that’s another story.
Once she lost popularity in Europe, she and her manager sat down and thought “who will listen to this…. I mean, Lolita is crap (but catchy)… we should do something!!!… I know, lets aim for Mexico!!!!! why not?” So the evil plan started. They infiltrated a viral music video and voilà! Everybody was listening to her. The interesting part is that she was not singing “Lolita” anymore… she was singing something that was like (you guessed right) “j’ai la peau douce… dans ma bain de mousse…” I’m sure, especially guys, were captivated by her ‘voice’ and ‘talent’…I mean, who wouldn’t?
Probably you are wondering know… who cares? Well, let me tell you something… Actually, I invite you to incorporate phrase as part of your daily lives and you will see the change. Why? Based on my own experience, let me share five benefits of knowing how to say “j’ai la peau douce”
1) Excellent pick up line. Yup, if you have the opportunity to visit France, Quebec or wherever french-speaking place… or if there are any francophone tourists in your area you just have to say “j’ai la peau douce.” You will impress people. This is a exquisite, tastful, respectful, and classy phrase. Believe me, nobody will resist to your awesome and charming charisma!
2) Hint of Mistery. Following the previous point. Just repeat it again and again. People will be intrigued… they will want to know more about. They will keep wondering… what’s next? what’s next?
3) Self-esteem increase. Every morning, look yourself in the mirror and repeat 5 times “je la peau douce… je la peau douce… je la peau douce .. je la peau douce… and je la peau douce… .” I promise you, you will see a change instantaneously!!!
4) Crossing linguistic barriers. Just try to say it in Spanish… “Tengo la piel SUAAAAAVE.” Wow!!! I’m starting to shiver. You can also try to say “Écho apaló dérma” …. gamato!!! or “U mene ye m’yAAAAAku shkiru”… ?????!!!!! Isn’t it sexy? (Sorry anglo-friends, ‘I have soft skin’ sounds too normal… maybe ” I have a smooth epidermis”?
5) Now you speak french. Well, at least more than before reading this post!
Now, it is my responsibility to teach you how to pronounce that inspirational phrase. The trick is the dOUce sound. It sounds like an “OO” (in English) or “U” in Spanish. Just be careful, don’t say it like an “i-oo-oo (in English) or i-uuuuuuuu (in spanish)” because you will confuse people!!
Let’s Alizee to explain it:
|“O” / “U” (ou) sound||i-oo-oo-oo/iuuuu sound|
Now I want you to be confident and say loudly J’AI LA PEAU DOUCE. Again, J’AI LA PEAU DOUCE. Bravo!!!
Next: Omelette du Fromage.